Come Join Our Growing Team!
At ETHOS Career Management Group Ltd., we guide our clients in finding employment that is suitable and sustainable. With our head office located in Nanaimo, we offer a range of employment programs and services, engaging digital learning supports and operate WorkBC centres in Duncan and Ladysmith.
We have an exciting opportunity available for a WordPress Developer & Designer., This is a full-time position, based in our head office in Nanaimo and reporting to the Manager, Learning, Innovations and Technology.
As a member of the LIT (Learning, Innovations, and Technology) Team at ETHOS the WordPress Developer & Designer is responsible for staff and client support in their use of WordPress-based systems, WordPress plugin and theme development, front-end content creation and design utilizing the Divi Page Builder.
Staff and Client WordPress Support
The LIT team develops, hosts, and manages dozens of WordPress-based websites and learning management systems both for ETHOS’ internal use and for use by paying third-party clients. In this role, you will provide usage and technical support to assist our staff and paying clients in the day-to-day use of WordPress systems to achieve their individual usage goals
WordPress Development, Support, and Troubleshooting
In this role, you will work with the LIT team to develop WordPress functionality by creating themes and plugins as required, providing WordPress customization to support client usage goals, and provide in-depth technical troubleshooting & support when major issues occur. A large portion of this role will include hands-on development, management, improvement, and customization of WordPress-based Learning Management Systems.
This aspect of the role will work with our content development teams in the creation of online learning projects, such as online employment courses, company onboarding courses, and other WordPress and Learning Management System-based web content. In collaboration with our content developers, this role designs attractive and modern course structures, page layouts, reusable design components, user interfaces, and more within project deadlines and in close collaboration with the team. While content will usually be provided, the ability to create wrap-around and contextual content (instructions, directions, topic introductions, etc.), reformat content into more engaging forms, and to support core materials is also required.
Education, Experience and Requirements:
- Minimum 3 years combined experience in web design/development roles.
- Diploma in Information Technology or Systems Administration and/or Web Design/Development or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Linux server administration and management experience, including experience with LAMP stacks and ongoing server maintenance.
- Experience in providing technical support to non-technical users both in-person and remotely.
- Web design portfolio including examples of developed websites, applications, and/or graphic design.
- Graphic design training and/or experience is a strong asset.
- Windows systems administration experience is an asset.
- Enthusiastic and willing to take on new challenges in a constantly evolving environment.
- Ability to multi-task and maintain patience and diplomacy in high-stress situations.
- Self-directed and able to contribute as a team player across multiple teams, projects, and when assisting staff with technical issues.
- Takes initiative in the workplace and assists the team independently as needed with minimal oversight.
- Takes responsibility for assigned work, meeting of deadlines, and team role.
- Comfortable with change and learning.
- Always demonstrates a positive attitude and professional behavior.
Abilities and Skills:
- Experience working under strict timelines while ensuring consistent attention to detail.
- Excellent communication & teamwork skills
- Experience in providing training/guidance to non-technical personnel, including one-on-one assistance and group training.
- Ability to prioritize and manage workload.
- Ability to take initiative independently to plan, manage, and complete projects without hands-on oversight of work.
- Ability to create, manage, and design WordPress-based websites and pages, including the design skills needed to create attractive, modern websites.
- Excellent writing skills and capability to write contextual and wrap-around web content with accurate spelling, grammar, and content structures
- Experience managing WordPress-based systems, including the understanding of WordPress database, post-type, and administrative structures, development and administration, and update/day-to-day systems maintenance.
- Linux server administration experience including command-line based administration of Apache and NGINX servers utilizing MySQL/MarinaDB databases, as well as various other LAMP stacks.
- Experience with SSH, SCP, SFTP, and other remote server management tools.
- Web design experience with a firm grasp of HTML5 & CSS and other front-end web design skills, including WordPress page builders and other complimentary design tools. Experience with the Divi page builder is an asset.
- Understanding of core web and networking concepts, including IP, DNS, DHCP.
- Visual design and graphic design capabilities including UI/UX design, logo, and advertisement design using vector-based authoring tools (e.g. Adobe Illustrator).
- Understanding of customer service principles and support techniques to provide friendly, hands-on, and convenient technical support to non-technical staff.
- Knowledge of Windows Server is an asset, including Active Directory, Group Policy, as well as file share administration, domain security, and general day-to-day management tasks, such as adding user, administering groups, completing accompanying documentation, etc.
- Experience administering Office365 is an asset.
The Ideal Candidate
You have both web design and visual design skills, and extensive experience in WordPress plugin development. This role is dynamic, and you should be flexible, adaptable, and quick to learn new tools, technologies, and skills at short notice and independently. You are adept at balancing on-demand technical support, scheduled maintenance and projects, and timeline-based web development and website projects independently. You bring a varied WordPress-based skillset and enjoy flexibility in a self-directed team environment. You love finding solutions to new challenges and readily take responsibility for timelines and production goals.
If this sounds like you, we’d like to hear from you! Please submit your resume, cover letter, and web design portfolio via email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the posting name (WordPress Developer & Designer) in the subject line. Closing date: January 31, 2021
We thank all applicants for their interest in ETHOS Career Management Group Ltd. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.