- Post-Secondary Education in Commerce, Business Management, Marketing and Sales, Financial Planning or combination of training and experience
- 5+ years writing and reviewing business plans, with ability to interpret
- 3+ years business coaching experience with new entrepreneurs and diverse clientele
- Group facilitation, including computer and online applications
- Production of Forecasted Financial Statements and schedules, including Balance Sheets, Income Statements, and Cash Flow
- Development of marketing plans and strategies, both traditional and online
- Experience working with clients to identify and overcome barriers to employment and self-employment, including personal and professional management, preferred
- Shows respect for diversity and ability to work effectively and productively with a diverse clientele
- Contributes as a team player while taking initiative to work independently or assist with other workload if SE work is slow
- Maintains comfort with change and learning; demonstrates a commitment to professional development
- Possesses an awareness of one’s own capabilities and understanding of when to draw upon others’ expertise
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and professional conduct
- A desire to inspire, motivate and mentor people are is a passion for you
- Enjoy networking and building relationships in the program and the community
Abilities and Skills:
- Ability to work under pressure, manage competing priorities, meet deadlines
- Able to handle confidential information with discretion and adhere to professional guidelines (including those in the Canadian Standards and Guidelines for Career Practitioners), as well as relevant legal regulations and standards
- Establish and maintain productive and professional interactions with clients and assist individuals/groups towards self-understanding and self-development
- Assess clients for program/session suitability
- Assess business ideas for viability and be able to report using specific criteria
- Develop, deliver, revise, adapt and evaluate high quality personal and business related small group seminars and workshops to diverse clientele
- Develop, maintain and update curriculum for all programs on an ongoing basis
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of Word, Excel, Outlook, the Internet (researching online) and online workshop applications
- Utilize highly developed oral and written communication skills
- Manage budgets and client scheduling as required
- Prepare reports for purposes of reporting to management and government bodies
- OES, ICM and the Virtual WorkBC Centre
- Small business development and management
- Marketing and sales, project and time management
- A variety of business types, industries and forms
- Business plans and templates
- Current local wage, economies and working conditions
- BC Labour Laws and Employment Standards
- Local Federal and Provincial employment programs, as well as a thorough knowledge of local and community employment and education-related programs and services
- The career development process, barriers to employment/self-employment, and the Job Loss Cycle
- How local, regional, national and global labour markets function
- How to acquire and utilize labour market information
- Relevant income supports (e.g. Employment Insurance, Income Assistance, Disability Benefits, Pensions and other)
- Legal Matters
- Canadian Standards and Guidelines for Career Practitioners
Reports to: Cowichan WorkBC Centre Manager
As a member of the Client Services Team, the Business Coach evaluates and guides new entrepreneurs in developing their concept ideas and business plans leading to successful small business launch and ongoing development. The Business Coach assists in all areas of orientation, assessment, entrepreneurial skills training and concept and business planning. They prepare the client for presentation of their business plan to the review panel, provide ongoing supports and advice to successful applicants and monitor progress.
- Assist with recruitment activities, including orientation sessions; promotion and marketing of the program (assist marketing team).
- Provide clients, community partners and employers with information on our self-employment services – in-person, online and via other marketing strategies.
- Participate actively in social media to reach perspective clients.
- Connect with employment agencies, the business community, government offices, and other publicly accessed agencies to share the program information and its benefits with these groups; ensure that brochures are available to local agencies and in targeted areas to reach key client profiles.
- Assist with direct marketing to employer to recruit for guest speakers, mentors and Review Panel Members.
- Attend community and networking events as needed/required.
- Interview applicants for suitability to the program based on specified success indicators
- Provide guidance to applicants to prepare and document their initial concept and application
- Ensure the completion of concept workbooks and business plan workbooks for approval. Complete staff comments and checklist before packages are sent to the designated approval authority (could be more than one person).
- Maintain in-house client attendance records, database and client service statistics.
- Maintain records and complete reports as required, to ensure appropriate data is available for ongoing service performance evaluation and monitoring; submit reports as necessary; enter information and reports into ICM as required.
- Monitor and assess all program components; solicit and review client feedback throughout the phases.
- Liaise with the Manager regarding client inquiries and/or issues.
- Report and liaise regularly with the Manager.
Update/revise SE Orientation as required; provide 1-1 if required (otherwise clients access online)
Provide clients with debrief after they complete entrepreneurial assessments.
Evaluate concepts for purposes of viability, financial capacity, skills, personal and business suitability, competitive impact of the new business on the local labour market; review and ascertain, in collaboration with the client, the proposed business project’s financial feasibility.
- Contact clients weekly during the program for coaching, mentorship, guidance and support.
- Provide tailored tools and resources to support clients in developing business concepts, business plans and business plan financial statements.
- Coach clients on conducting research as it relates to the technical development of their businesses (such as specific industry or product research, utilizing limited financial resources, employment standards, legislation requirements, marketing strategies).
- Facilitate Entrepreneurial Skills Workshops, as required.
- Review final copies of business plans; evaluate the plan and write a brief summary to recommend the plan if appropriate, or outline any relevant (and public) information for the Community Adjudication Committee that will evaluate the business proposal.
- Offer realistic alternatives, solutions and resources to clients whose businesses do not establish sufficient financial feasibility.
- Ensure strict adherence to client confidentiality and all other professional codes of conduct.
- Contact clients monthly for coaching, mentorship, guidance and support and provide group touch-back sessions as required.
- Support clients with sustainability of their business operations, suggesting relevant services and recommending other clients where appropriate.
- Arrange mentoring partnerships between new business owners and successful Program alumni and other business leaders in the community.
- Provide post-project mentoring support and follow-up after clients exit the program, as requested by Case Managers.
- Provide ongoing mentorship, coaching, and guidance to clients.
- Provide guidance to clients on effective use of limited personal funds.
- Deliver appropriate information regarding business income and taxation filing requirements.
Job Sustainment Services:
- Have a strong working knowledge and in-depth understanding of employment services needed to support Clients along a successful path toward employment that is sustainable